Engineering Technician – Municipal
FSLA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Regional Manager
OFFICE: Pittsburgh, PA
The Engineering Technician is a professional with a 3 – 5 years of experience. This individual will design and/or manage a variety of infrastructure projects (owned by municipalities and local school districts) and will report directly to the Regional Manager. Such projects shall include roads, underground utilities, public buildings, recreational facilities, and land use applications submitted by private developers.
- Develop or implement engineering solutions to assist clients with improving and maintaining their infrastructure.
- Design transportation, utility, facility, or hydraulic systems or structures (as appropriate) using computer assisted design or drawing tools.
- Compute load and grade requirements, water flow rates, or material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine project feasibility.
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, or other topographical or geologic data.
- Conduct studies of traffic patterns or environmental conditions to identify engineering problems and assess potential project impact.
- Perform all design activities ensuring compliance with environmental, safety, or other governmental regulations.
- Identify environmental risks and develop risk management strategies for projects.
- Provide technical advice to clients regarding design, construction, or capital program modifications.
- Support of the field activities of our construction inspection staff, including providing timely data, shop drawing review, and client coordination.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Municipal Engineering experience preferred but not required
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to make public presentations
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw conclusions to present to co-workers and clients.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of computer aided design software
- Ability to work in groups as well as individually
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering (any discipline) from an accredited four-year college or university
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in the field and may be exposed to outside weather conditions. Work requires frequent and prolonged computer use. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
This company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all qualified, interested parties, regardless of race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other protected classification under national or local law.
While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary.