Construction Observer – NICET II/ III – Secaucus, NJ
DEPARTMENT: Construction Management & Inspection
FSLA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Department Head
The ideal candidate will provide construction observation for municipal, county, state and federal projects as well as transportation authority and agency work including roadways, bridges, culverts, water supply and distribution systems, sanitary sewer collection and treatment systems, and storm sewer systems construction.
- Providing extensive on-site observation of construction projects and serve as the Engineer’s liaison with Contractor.
- Attend pre-construction & weekly job progress meetings.
- Conduct on-site observations of the work in progress to assist the Engineer in determining if the work is proceeding in accordance with the Contract Documents.
- Provide and maintain all records related to the project.
- Document all on-site observations of construction progress, equipment on-site, manpower on-site, materials on-site and any and all deficiencies on a Daily Inspection Report. This Report is to be turned in to the Senior Construction Observer either in hardcopy or electronically.
- Review applications for payment with Contractor and confer with Engineer on recommendations for progress payments.
- Ensure job site is maintained in a safe, neat, and orderly fashion by the Contractor.
- Ensure that all safety precautions and traffic control measures are in place and operational.
- Demonstrate an ability and desire to work.
- Read and use architectural and engineering blueprints and specifications to ensure conformance of work by Contractor.
- Perform all duties in a safe manner.
- Prepare a final punch list at substantial completion, and perform final project review for project closeout.
- Be knowledgeable in all phases of the work being inspected.
- Good communication skills, with the ability to work with others and the public.
- Self-motivated, organized, and focused, with good attention to detail.
- Must be able and willing to work the hours necessary to meet the demands of an ever-changing workload or the completion of any assigned project(s).
- Properly care for and maintain any and all company-issued equipment and materials.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets and estimates and well as material take-offs as required.
- Must be accessible by phone during the course of the workday.
- All Construction Observers are required to enter their time and expenses on any projects into the Deltek Vision web-based system on a daily basis.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Department Head or Assistant Department Head.
- Minimum of 5 years of Construction Observation experience or construction experience directly related to one or all of the following disciplines: water supply and distribution systems, sanitary sewer collection and treatment systems, storm sewer systems, and roadway construction.
- Must have a Valid Driver’s License.
- High School diploma required, but an Associate’s Degree is preferred.
- NICET Certification in Heavy Highway Construction Level II or better.
- Must have computer literacy in all Microsoft Office software.
- Must have computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook.
- Valid driver’s license
- The employee may also be required to receive and/or renew the following certifications at the discretion of the Department Head within 12 months after the date of hire:
– ACI Field Technician Certification
– Work Zone Safety
– OSHA 10 and/or OSHA 30
– OSHA Hazwoper 24
– NJDOT Traffic Control Coordinator
– New Jersey Society of Asphalt Technicians – Field Testing
– NACE CIP Level 1+
– PennDOT Concrete Technician Certification
– NECEPT Bituminous Field Technician Certification
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in the field and may be exposed to outside weather conditions. Work requires frequent and prolonged computer use. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
This company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all qualified, interested parties, regardless of race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other protected classification under national or local law.
While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary. We are an At Will employer.